Subscribe via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- The Puzzling "White Indians" Who Loved Their Abductors.
- My Mysterious Mary Margaret Magdalene Meadows
- Book Review: "Shenandoah: A Story of Conservation and Betrayal"
- Remembrance of Things Past
- Echos of My Blue Ridge Ancestors
- America: Conceived on a Beer Bender?
- Family Stories
- Gypsies, Maligned and Misaligned
- My Tragic Boyd Blood
- Annie Ada Collier Harris Loved Her Husband Dearly
Author Archives: admin
Searching for your ancestors teaches you a lot. When you start to see past the organizational structures of genealogy, past the dates and towns and who begat whoms, you find small truths that touch your heart, or hidden stories that … Continue reading
My mother had her own drawer as a child. With a family of 12 in a four-bedroom farmhouse that’s all she could get, one drawer. But she didn’t feel deprived, she felt special. The way she put it was, “My … Continue reading
When we last saw my distant ancestor John Fitch he had just buried his gold and silver on Charles Garrison’s farm in the dead of night. To catch you up, it was December, 1776, and General Washington’s army was staggering … Continue reading
John Fitch and I are second cousins eight times removed. That means my ninth great grandfather was his second great-grandfather, and my eighth great grandfather was his great-granduncle. It’s nothing I’d get too excited over. Except that I wouldn’t know … Continue reading