Subscribe via Email
Top Posts & Pages
- The Puzzling "White Indians" Who Loved Their Abductors.
- Gypsies, Maligned and Misaligned
- Book Review: "Shenandoah: A Story of Conservation and Betrayal"
- Gone, Not Forgotten
- My Mysterious Mary Margaret Magdalene Meadows
- At the Wheel: The Life of Jessie Merica, Part 1
- The Grandmother I Never Knew
- At the Wheel: The Life of Jessie Merica, Part 2
- John Bailey and the Angel Gabriel
Tag Archives: Puritan
Yesterday I wrote about the five Boyd children who were brutally captured by Iroquois warriors in 1756. If that sounds terrifying, it probably was. At least it started out that way. The Boyd children were taken by force, their mother … Continue reading
First names, like eye color, tend to run in families. In my (ex) brother-in-law’s family, every first son is James, every second son is John. It has been like that for generations. He broke the tradition by a hair, naming … Continue reading
My seventh great grandmother was Fear Brewster, daughter of Elder William Brewster of Mayflower fame. Fear’s siblings were named Love, Wrestling, Patience, and Jonathan. Jonathan was apparently named before the Brewsters got their hands on the Geneva Bible, which became … Continue reading